Friday, June 19, 2015

Beware of the Bad Nanny

I've been preoccupied lately which is why this post is quite late. We got a call like two weeks ago that a nanny was willing to work for us. I can literally hear the Hallelujah Chorus when I found out. But sadly, this does not have a happy ending.

The nanny let's call her Rhea S. started to work with us on a Thursday. She was 19 and was a Bisaya but she's been living in Manila for quite sometime now. I asked her to bring the requirements (NBI, Birth Certificate) that I asked her to bring but she said she did not have any. I told her I'll just get those for her. She performed her duties as she was told. However we were surprised to have an unexpected male visitor from her one very early Sunday morning.

The male visitor let's call him Raul B. introduced himself as a relative of Rhea. He said that he has to take Rhea home to the province so she can take care of her sister who had just given birth. My husband told Raul to talk to Rhea about it. Rhea then. voluntarily left with Raul. Although, her leaving would mean that I would have to look for a new nanny again we couldn't force her to stay.

An hour later, I started to receive phone calls and text messages from an unknown number. I answered and I found out that it was Raul. He said that he's the husband of Rhea. He said that he will go back to the house and bring six men with him so my husband will admit what he did to Rhea. I was asking what my husband did but he said that he would like to talk to my husband.

Raul was claiming that Rhea was raped or harassed and that it happened at midnight. I told him this is not true since I was still awake at midnight and when I fell asleep I even rose up to turn off the AC at 1:30 A.M. Raul even said that Rhea was already pregnant and that he even heard what allegedly happened to my husband and Rhea through his phone since he called that time.

I was filled with fear then. My husband and I went to the Brgy. Hall and police station to file a formal complaint against Rhea and Raul. Even when we were at the police station Raul was calling my husband and the police heard what he was saying.

It was clear that all they wanted was money from us. I felt afraid and lost. This is a nightmare! I thought.

Here are some tips that the police gave us when hiring helpers.
1. Always ask for the NBI, Birth Certificate and any valid ID prior to acceptance of the maid.
2. Interview the maid thoroughly. Observe whether her answers are consistent or if she says it like it was practiced.
3. When your helper decides to leave you, go to the Brgy. Hall to have a formal documentation that your helper is leaving and that she did not have any injuries when she left or that she doesn't owe you money.

Trust me these tips are helpful. I just found out from a friend that his lola was also a victim of this modus. But this time the nanny complained that she was mistreated.

We are just waiting for the next steps to be taken against my former nanny and her boyfriend (we found out they weren't married but were cohabitating) but they've already stopped calling and texting us.

I'm just blessed and thankful that we're still alive and that my family is still intact. Just like what my friend said, I need to stay positive, move on and hope for the best.

Did you ever have a bad experience with a nanny? Share your story.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment