Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Things I Wish I Knew Before I Got Pregnant

As the saying goes, you'll never miss the water until it's gone perfectly summarizes my whole situation.

In the Philippines, where the whole country is Pro-Life and very conservative, sex is not likely a much talked about issue. Many women in my country would be pregnant by the age of 14 and give birth almost every year.

I strongly believe that this is due to the lack of education in areas that would greatly affect their future. I believe that it is imperative that the church and state would educate the next generation of the real situation, possibilities and options in the subject of sex. This would in turn, help them to make informed decisions.

Here are the things that I wish I knew before I got pregnant.

1. Doing it once is enough
Yeah. A one time sex can already lead to pregnancy.

2. There are options for unwanted pregnancy
Seriously, there are contraceptives that are only available in pharmacies. However, be warned that when you ask for these things on the counter, you get judgmental looks not only from fellow consumers but also from the front liner of the pharmacy. My advice, disregard those looks. You'll have much more things to be ashamed of if you get pregnant.

3. Taking Care of Babies is not at look like Playtime with Teddy
We were all given teddy bears and dolls that we had to look after when we were young. It's like they were already training us of the norm that female are the ones responsible for child rearing. Therefore, parents must talk to children and explain to them that taking care of babies is entirely different from taking care of a doll.

4. Taking care of the kids is easier when you're grown up
Wrong. You will never be prepared. You learn in the process. You become someone who is stronger, makes mistakes and learns from them. It isn't true that when you're in your 30's raising a kid is easier. It's a matter of planning and learning.

Someday, when my son is all grown up and ready to understand things, I hope that he will live in an environment where he is informed and well educated about this matter. I don't want him to turn up like me. Having hardships and having an unplanned family. I want him to have a life that he and his family could enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment